In the past, we have written an elgg documentation on how to install your Elgg copy on a Windows XP / Windows VIsta / Windows 7 PC. I will repost it here for a quick reference if you are in need.
XAMPP Installation for Elgg
These intructions are provided in case you want to test your Elgg installation on your local computer running Windows.
- Download and install XAMPP to your computer from http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html – we’ll assume you installed it on the C drive
- Once the installation is completed, it will prompt you to start the XAMPP controller panel. Leave it for now.
- Open C://xampp/apache/conf/httpd.conf file with notepad and find the line “#LoadModule rewrite_module modules/mod_rewrite.so” and remove the “#” and save it.
- Edit the php.ini file and change arg_separator.output = & to arg_separator.output = &
- Now go to C://xampp and double click on the xampp_start application
- Then go to http://localhost/
- Change your server’s password in the security option
- Go to http://localhost/phpmyadmin and login with the username and the password of your server
- Create a database called “elgg” in your phpmyadmin panel
- Now download Elgg. Unzip it and extract to C://Xampp/htdocs/sites/elgg (Create a folder “sites” inside the htdocs directory, just to separate the php files from the core)
- Create the Elgg data folder as C://Xampp/htdocs/sites/data
- Go to http://localhost/sites/elgg
- You will be taken to the Elgg installation steps. Install it and enjoy.
XAMPP 1.7.4 and eAccelerator
Elgg is compatible with opcode caches and it is highly recommended that you enable a PHP opcode caching tool for a faster experience. XAMPP comes with support for eAccelerator out of the box, but unfortunately, the 1.7.4 build of XAMPP leaves out the DLL that’s required. To get eAccelerator working, follow these steps:
- Download the DLL from http://eac.qme.nl/eAccelerator_v1_0_svn427_for_v5_3_5-VC6.zip
- Copy eAccelerator_ts.dll to C:/xampp/php/ext/php_eaccelerator.dll
- Uncomment this line in C:/xampp/php/php.ini:
;zend_extension = "C:xamppphpextphp_eaccelerator.dll"
- Restart apache
To verify that it is on:
- Go to localhost/xampp
- Click on phpinfo() from the left sidebar
- Ctrl+F for eaccelerator. If you get no results, eAccelerator is not active